If you’re ready to install a new patio door in your home, your first thought may be: which kind of patio door would best complement my home’s style? Here are some steps you can follow to be able to choose the right patio door style.
1. Know the Options
There are many door styles to choose from, so being aware of which options you have can be helpful.
- Sliding Patio Doors: These are space savers that combine style and functionality in one. With this type of glass door, you get a seamless transition from indoors to outdoors. Vinyl sliding doors don’t take much cleaning and maintenance either. With such a large glass area, you can enjoy lots of natural light for your living space.
- Swinging Patio Doors: These come in a variety of styles, from center-hinged to garden to French door. Elegant and functional, they act as real doors that swing open and closed. However, in areas where you are limited in space, these take up a lot of room when opening or closing, as you need to accommodate clearance.
2. Decide on Materials
Next up is to decide on which material you want.
- Vinyl: Long-lasting and durable, vinyl is more affordable than other materials such as fiberglass and wood, but still gives you energy efficiency and beauty. The best benefit of vinyl is that it’s easy to clean and doesn’t take much maintenance. You can get them in a variety of colors, and they can even mimic the look of real wood, thanks to a woodgrain laminate.
- Wood: Wood is a traditional material that allows you to customize the door with paint or stain. They are more expensive than vinyl though, plus they need more upkeep to ensure they stay looking beautiful for years to come.
- Fiberglass: This material requires little maintenance and can withstand harsh outdoor weather. However, fiberglass is the most expensive material for patio doors.
- Aluminum Patio Doors: One of the least expensive materials for patio doors, aluminum is lightweight but can’t retain heat or keep in cool air as well as other materials. Your energy costs may increase with aluminum doors, which may dent or scratch more easily.
3. Customize Your Door
There are many modifications you can make to customize your door to fit your exact needs. Those include:
- Grid Styles (colonial, diamond, perimeter)
- Hardware (dark bronze, nickel, polished brass)
- Blinds Between Glass Panes
Now that you know what you want, it’s easy to choose a patio door style that matches your home!
Contact Amazing Exteriors for the Best Patio Doors in Houston!
We offer high-quality replacement doors from Provia® and Infinity® by Marvin®, giving you access to affordable, beautiful, and energy efficient patio, storm and screen doors that provide long-lasting value. If you need help choosing the right patio door for your home’s style, contact us today at 512-428-8417. Our contractors can visit with you and suggest the best patio door options to meet your needs.